Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Johnny the Stud

>> I got a dress made today for 7 cedis!! :) It's cute and I styled it myself... a lady from the village made it for me!
>>
>> The "wedding" band we bought at Walmart is coming in handy....at the waterfall I used it when I was with Shena. We didnt have a coordinator with us that day and some guys wouldn't leave us alone so I popped the ring on and bam! ..Didn't see them again!
>>
>> Discipline at the school..can't believe it.. they use a cane..its like a bamboo stick! The teachers told me i have to use it! I just can't hit kids! They tell me that is the way kids learn here as they are not eager to learn like they are in Canada! If they come to school without a uniform they are sometimes punished with the cane. The uniforms are government mandated.
>>
>> I don't know where the garbage goes the kids usually take it somewhere. We had another garbage incident tongiht . I brought out a bag of garbage and no kids were around but later I came out and every granola/protein bar wrapper was licked right clean!!
>>
>> - Johnny (a boy in my class) came to play soccer with us the other day..I laughed so hard when I saw him coming. Johnny is a little stud! He is about 9 yrs old. He shows up with some cool looking sweat pant capris and his boxers showing (you know, the way guys try and look cool) no shirt ... showing off his lil abs ... and here comes my favorite part - he had head phones in his ears and tucked the end in his shorts.. no mp3 connected!! Just the head phones!! He was dancing like there was music playing!
>>
>> The kids are crazy! Like herds of cows!! I started off with 3 today to go for a walk and ended up with at least 20 after a 5 min walk! They fight so they can hold your hand - slap other people's hands off mine so they can hold mine and if i pick up a kid even like a 2 yr old..an 8 yr old will slap her away and tell her to get down so they can be carried!
>>
>> Oh and the invisible bugs!! When we first got here (Biapka) we were told there are invisible bugs that come out around 4 in the morning and 6 at night. They are harmless, not dangerous at all - they are tiny and invisible and they leave red dots - last night I got a ton! They are so itchy. Riley had them last week real bad when he was sick but his were not itchy. He at least had 200 - they were everywhere - looked like he had the chicken pox!
>>
>> When you walk down the streets, to school, anywhere - we stop to say hi and greet people and they will ask you for something... your shirt, shorts, shoes..watever! Yesterday a girl in a shop said, "Can i have your shorts?" I said, "Sure!" she said, "ok" - then we said bye!! haha happens all the time same thing today when I was walkin with the kids a lady asked if she could have my lululemon hoodie when I leave! Maybe not..I'll have to ponder that one.
>>
>> Africans favorite food is bankoo - (I know that is spelled wrong) and foo foo! They always ask, "Hhow long have you been here in Ghana?" to see if we are ready to try it! I dont mind it. They beat casava powder with a stick and it looks like bread dough but does not taste like bread dough. We eat alot of rice and pasta and fruit..they are so generous to Riley and I because we are Canadians!
>>
>> Poured so hard today! Ry says it's good so all the poo and pee will be washed away! lol Took an extra half hour to get home from school today because of all the rain!
>
>> Ry had his laptop with him to teach the kids how to use one! They all learn about the computer - they know microsoft word and love the bold italic options..Riley thinks they get paper keyboards to practice typing! The kids love seeing the computer!!
>
>> We will stay here in Biapka till Saturday. Ry and I are trying to think of some fun ideas for tommorow. We have planned 'olympics' for the kids if the rain stops.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment