Sunday, June 5, 2011

Riley's Sunday Perspective

We made it to the LDS church this morning. The church was held in a house that was filled with wooden pews on some street in the middle of Ho, it would be very hard to find if you didn't know where it was, I would not be able to find it again if I had to on my own. When I was packing for Ghana  I just threw in some brown slacks and a white shirt, I didn't bother putting in a tie, matching belt or Sunday shoes, I figured the people here would probably be wearing sandals and just whatever they could find that looked nice. Turns out however that everyone from ages 2-90 were in polished black shoes, pants, white shirt, tie maybe even a nice watch. Then there was me, brown flip flops, wrinkled brown pants with a black belt, wrinkled white shirt and a face that hadn't been shaven in 2 or 3 days, oh and I did not have a tie. O well though, it was not a big deal, and since it was hot I was a lot more comfortable this way!  At this point there are 120 wards in Ghana (mostly near Accra) and one temple.

The rest of the day we came home had lunch which was yams and chicken and then took a taxi to Ho. This was our first time venturing out on our own without someone from DIVOG and it was fun. We went to the Vodaphone cafe which was the first time being in an air conditioned building and the first time having fast internet. We then went and got some ice ream (or what they call ice-cream here) and the cracker cookie things Raegan likes to eat. We then took a taxi back to the orphanage and played some games with the kids until it got dark out which is around 6:30.

Oh and there were 4 missionaries at church and they have a baptism this Saturday.  I asked where the font is or where they do the baptism and they pointed to this black cow trough type thing in the front yard of the church haha, it almost looks like a giant Rubbermaid tub with the lid on it. Whatever works right?






No comments:

Post a Comment